Corporate Sustainability Strategies (CSS) is an independent commercial real estate sustainability consulting firm, passionate about results. Services are client-centric, centered on driving enhanced financial returns by designing and implementing cost effective sustainability strategies.
We provide expert consulting services centered on driving investor returns by designing and implementing cost effective and value creating sustainability strategies. CSS can support an existing program that is not maximizing potential or create one based on a proven model with a strategic focus.
Companies may have dipped their toe in the water of sustainability and have achieved an ENERGY STAR Label or perhaps even LEED certification. These are great tactical actions and provide advantages. However, Corporate Sustainability Strategies takes sustainability to the next level by developing an over-arching strategy that integrates sustainability into the way organizations do business.
Brenna S. Walraven
BOMA Fellow, BOMI-HP®, CPM®, RPA®
President & CEO
Corporate Sustainability Strategies
Areas of Expertise
Brenna Walraven is an internationally recognized innovative and dynamic leader in the commercial real estate industry. For over 28 years, she has excelled at leading large, diverse real estate organizations and has served some of the most discriminating institutional investors.
In 2014, Ms. Walraven founded Corporate Sustainability Strategies (CSS), a firm dedicated to providing best practice solutions for real estate management and sustainability through thought leadership, innovation, and the pursuit of excellence. CSS helps clients develop and execute strategies in areas of real estate operations, asset management, property and facilities management, sustainability, and advisory services.
Ms. Walraven’s experience includes roles as Head of Property Operations, Portfolio Manager for multi-family, MOB and retail portfolios, among others, providing strategic leadership for a $12 billion, 100 million square foot national, multi-sector real estate portfolio reporting to the CEO. She has worked with many clients developing and implementing sustainability strategic plans, and she specifically helps clients prepare for and submit to Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmarking (GRESB).
Ms. Walraven served on California Governor Schwarzenegger’s Real Estate Leadership Council, and she has testified before Congress on issues of energy efficiency and sustainability. Ms. Walraven has been a public speaker for over 25 years and writes regularly for BOMA International, Journal of Commercial Real Estate, Urban Land Institute, and other publications. In addition to being an accomplished author, a sought-after speaker, and a talented instructor, Ms. Walraven thoroughly enjoys helping organizations and teams be the best they can be in the real estate industry.
Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International
- BOMA Fellow
- Former Chair & Chief Elected Officer – 1st woman in 100+ year history of organization
- Executive Editor, Subject Matter Expert, BOMA Green Lease Guide 2018
- Founding Member & Former Chair, BOMA Energy Efficiency Program (BEEP)
- Developed BEEP, BEEP 2.0, BEEP for Industrial, BEEP Plus: Renewables & Clean Technologies and BEEP Plus: Advanced Metering & Monitoring
- Founding Member & Chair, BOMA Energy Performance Contract Model (BEPC) Task Force
- Developed BEPC and created industry toolkit
- Founding Member, BOMA International Sustainability Task Force
BOMI International, Independent Institute for Property and Facility Management Education
- Executive Editor and Subject Matter Expert in development of High Performance Sustainable Buildings curriculum and instruction
Real Estate Roundtable (RER)
- Board Member (2007/2008)
- Vice Chair of the Sustainability Policy Advisory Council (SPAC)
- Member of SPAC (2000 to present)
Real Estate Forum’s 65th Anniversary
- Honoree for Next Generation of Leaders
- Fitwel Ambassador – Fitwel Ambassadors are well-versed in evidence-based connection between design and health (2018-present)
Affiliations and Memberships
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International, Fellow
- BOMA Orange County, Advisory Board Chair
- Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM), CPM® designation
- BOMI International, RPA®, BOMI-HP® (for high performance sustainable buildings)
- Fitwel, Ambassador
- Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB), Benchmarking Committee for North America
- Green Lease Leaders, Supporting Partner
- Green Seal, Board of Directors
- Real Estate Roundtable, Sustainability Policy Advisory Council (SPAC)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Responsible Property Investing Council
- US Green Building Council (USGBC), Member
University of Southern California (USC)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA),
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics
Brenna participates in a variety of industry-related panel discussions and speaking engagements. She participated in the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) real estate industry working group to develop sustainability disclosure.
Brenna Walraven participates as a member of the DOE’s Better Building Alliance (BBA) Commercial Real Estate Steering Committee. Better Buildings creates tools, resources, and initiatives that help push the market towards greater adoption of energy efficiency and sustainability. Brenna advocates for the Better Buildings platform to industry peers, helps to recruit new members and reviews resources under development by the Better Buildings Solutions Teams.