Corporate Sustainability Strategies (CSS) is an independent commercial real estate sustainability consulting firm, passionate about results. Services are client-centric, centered on driving enhanced financial returns by designing and implementing cost effective sustainability strategies.
We provide expert consulting services centered on driving investor returns by designing and implementing cost effective and value creating sustainability strategies. CSS can support an existing program that is not maximizing potential or create one based on a proven model with a strategic focus.
Companies may have dipped their toe in the water of sustainability and have achieved an ENERGY STAR Label or perhaps even LEED certification. These are great tactical actions and provide advantages. However, Corporate Sustainability Strategies takes sustainability to the next level by developing an over-arching strategy that integrates sustainability into the way organizations do business.
Brenna S. Walraven
CPM®, RPA®, BOMI-HP®, BOMA Fellow
President & CEO
Corporate Sustainability Strategies
Areas of Expertise
Brenna Walraven is internationally recognized as an innovative and dynamic leader in the commercial real estate industry. For over 28 years, she has excelled at leading large and diverse real estate organizations and serving some of the most discriminating institutional investors.
Brenna founded Corporate Sustainability Strategies (CSS), a firm dedicated to providing best practice solutions to real estate management through thought leadership, innovation, hard work and the pursuit of excellence. CSS’s experienced team members help our clients develop and execute solid real estate strategies in areas of asset management, property and facilities management, sustainability, and advisory services.
Experience includes roles as Head of Property Operations, Portfolio Manager among others, providing strategic leadership for a $12B, 100 million square foot national, multi-sector real estate portfolio reporting to the CEO.
Brenna served on California Governor Schwarzenegger’s Real Estate Leadership Council and has testified before Congress on issues of energy efficiency and sustainability. Brenna has been a public speaker for over 15 years, writes regularly for Building Owners and Managers (BOMA) International, Journal of Commercial Real Estate, Urban Land Institute (ULI), among other publications. In addition, as an accomplished author, a sought-after speaker, and a talented instructor, Brenna thoroughly enjoys helping firms and teams be the best they can be in the real estate industry.
- Fitwel Ambassador – Fitwel Ambassadors are well-versed in evidence-based connection between design and health (2018-present)
Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International
- BOMA Fellow, Inaugural Class (2012)
- Former Chair & Chief Elected Officer – 1st woman in 100+ year history of organization
- Former Chair & Founding Member, BOMA Energy Efficiency Program (BEEP) development, relaunch and development of BEEP for Industrial, BEEP for Clean Tech and BEEP Advanced Metering & Monitoring
- Founding Member, BOMA Energy Performance Contract Model (BEPC), development and toolkit task force
- Founding Member, BOMA Sustainability Task Force
BOMI International, Independent Institute for Property and Facility Management Education
- Executive Editor & Subject Matter Expert, development and teaching of BOMI’s High Performance Buildings curriculum
Real Estate Roundtable
- Board Member (2007/2008)
- Vice Chair of the Sustainability Policy Advisory Council (SPAC)
- Member of SPAC (2000 to present)
Real Estate Forum’s 65th Anniversary
- Honoree for Next Generation of Leaders
Affiliations and Memberships
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International, Fellow
- Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM), CPM® designation
- BOMI International, RPA®, BOMI-HP® designations
- Fitwel®, Ambassador
- Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB), Benchmarking Committee for North America
- Green Seal, Board of Directors
- Real Estate Roundtable, Sustainability Policy Advisory Council (SPAC)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Responsible Property Investing Council
- US Green Building Council (USGBC), Member
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), University of Southern California (USC)
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics, University of Southern California (USC)
Brenna participates in a variety of industry-related panel discussions and speaking engagements. She participated in the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) real estate industry working group to develop sustainability disclosure.
Brenna serves as an advisory committee member to make sure best content on EE Financing is put forth at ACEEE‘s EE Financing Forum. For nearly a decade, the EE Finance Forum has brought together practitioners, researchers, energy producers, and consumers to explore innovative models for deploying capital in efficiency markets.
Brenna Walraven participates as a member of the DOE’s Better Building Alliance (BBA) Commercial Real Estate Steering Committee. Better Buildings creates tools, resources, and initiatives that help push the market towards greater adoption of energy efficiency and sustainability. Brenna advocates for the Better Buildings platform to industry peers, helps to recruit new members and reviews resources under development by the Better Buildings Solutions Teams.